PHIL ALLIN: Boat 4476 Way’s Packet Directory page 370. Side Wheel Packet, wood hull, built Memphis Tenn. 1871, 463 tons, 181 x 38 x 6. Engines 22’s – 7 ft. Three boilers. Ran Memphis – Friar’s Point. Capt. James Lee. Machinery came from C.E. HILLMAN (page 65 Way’s). Dismantled when the JAMES LEE(1st) was built and the engines went to that boat. Her jack-staff went to the towboat DICK FULTON and in 1920 there still was a set of solid walnut furniture on the Lee Line wharf boat at Memphis which came from her.

Likely, the PHIL ALLIN was built at the Memphis Dry Dock Co.   The 1869-1872 Edwards Memphis City Directory listed James Lee Jr as President of the Memphis Dry Dock Co.

The book Elmwood Cemetery publish in 1874 has this to say about Major Phil Allin, “Major Phil Allin left Memphis in 1861 a Lieutenant in Captain James H. Edmondson’s Bluff City Grays.  He served in this command and capacity at Belmont and Shiloh, and in these battles, as in many subsequent conflicts, evinced extraordinary coolness and heroism.  He was transferred to the cavalry service, and was one of the most brilliant and dashing officers whose genius for war was inspired or evoked by Gen. N.B. Forrest.  Major Allin was a favorite officer of his commanding general, and when delicate trust or daring duties were to be discharged, was almost constantly selected to lead the way.  Never a soldier come out of the war between the States with a brighter escutcheon than the intrepid, generous, admirable gentleman and officer Phil Allin.  He died in Memphis in 1869, about thirty years of age.  It was no mean tribute to his worth that one of the swiftest and prettiest steamers on the Mississippi bears that ever-honored name, Phil Allin.”  Pages 97 and 98.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.