The HARRY LEE (first) began life as the CITY OF WHEELING. Way’s Packet directory recorded the following about the CITY OF WHEELING, built Clarington OH at Mozena yard and completed at Wheeling 1899. 169 feet long x 34.4 feet wide x 4.8 foot draft. Engines 16’s x 6 ft. Three boilers each 42″ dia. by 22 feet. Engines and boilers came from CITY OF SAVANNAH. Built for short trades out of Wheeling and was soon sold to the Lee Line Memphis which renamed her HARRY LEE. Sank at Brandywine Landing 45 miles above Memphis August 1911 and was raised. Burned at Memphis March 19, 1914. She carried the whistle of the Lee Line ROBERT E. Lee
HARRY LEE (second) was a sternwheel packet, steel hull, built at St. Louis MO, 1915. 175 feet length x 36 feet wide x 6.7 foot draft. Engines 16’s x 6 foot. Three boilers set on her backwards; fired from deckroom. Ran Memphis-Helena-Friars Point. She was built at the Phil A. Rohan Boat, Boiler and Tank Works, St. Louis. Last owned by the Valley Line (G.Peters Lee), Memphis which sold her June 1924 to Sherburne Transportation Co. She served during WWII at Alexandria LA, on the Red River as a barracks for soldiers and was moved from there to Orange TX and used to quarter shipyard workmen. She burned May 12, 1942 and was then converted into a showboat at Orange and was still there in 1951. Way’s Packet Directory.