Steamboat utensils. Spoons from the The St. Louis and Tennessee River Packet Company, KATE ADAMS, Lee Line and Eagle Packet Company.

These steamboat spoons are from the collection of my friend Ed Provine’s collection. The spoon on the left is stamped with the names of 2 boats the St. Louis and Tennessee River Packet Company, a fierce competitor of the Lee Line. The first packet this spoon was used on was the WILL J CUMMINS and then re-stamped with SHILHO following the sinking of the CUMMINS (thrifty owners). The second spoon from the KATE ADAMS, third from the Lee Line and 4th spoon from the Eagle Packet Company also a St. Louis Company.

WILL J CUMMINS from the University of Wisconsin LaCrosse Collection

  • BUILT: 1895 at Jeffersonville, Indiana by Howard Ship Yard
  • FINAL DISPOSITION: Snagged and lost at Beech Creek below Clifton, Tennessee on the Tennessee River in April 1901
  • OWNERS: Captain J. Mack Gamble (1897); Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company (1899); St. Louis and Tennessee River Packet Company (1901)
  • OFFICERS & CREW: Captain Tim Armstrong; Captain James Till (master, 1899); William Hunter (first mate, 1899)
  • RIVERS: Cumberland River; Ohio River
  • OTHER INFORMATION: Ways – 5792; She ran in opposition to the Ryman Line in the Cumberland River making trips to the headwaters at Burnside, Kentucky. She once raced the R. Dunbar. New owner Captain Gamble entered her in the Wheeling-Cincinnati trade on June 13, 1897. About a week later she was tied up by low water. In the fall of 1897 she ran low water in the Louisville-Cincinnati trade with the H.K. Bedford as her partner. She then went back to the Wheeling-Cincinnati run but was laid up by ice in the Muskingum. In 1898 she ran Pittsburgh-Cincinnati. In 1899 the owner, Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company, took her to the Tennessee River. The St. Louis and Tennessee River Packet Company was running her when she was lost at Beech Creek in April 1901
  • Will J. Cummins (A)

SHILOH description also from the University of Wisconsin LaCrosse Collection

  • BUILT: Jeffersonville, Indiana by Howard Ship Yards, 1902
  • FINAL DISPOSITION: Sank at the Memphis wharf, December 1913
  • OWNERS: St. Louis and Tennessee River Packet Company
  • OFFICERS & CREW: Captain Lon Kell (master); Charles R. Beard and Ed B. Beard (pilots); Sam G. Smith (purser); Tommy Latham (chief engineer); Al Aiken (second engineer); Charles Lewter (second clerk); John Hamilton (carpenter); J. R. Koger (deck watchman); Bill Stull (mate); Captain Ed Nowland, Jr. (master, December, 1913)
  • RIVERS: Tennessee River
  • OTHER INFORMATION: Ways – 5097; Original price was $9,250 and home port or owner’s residence circa 1902 was St. Louis, Missouri; machinery out of the Will J. Cummins. She was launched September 2, 1902 and came out in the Danville-Savannah trade on the Tennessee River. In December 1913, she was under charter to the Delta Navigation Company, Memphis, when she hit the levee while landing at Memphis with a heavy cargo, sank and was lost

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.